Trevico
Home - Monuments - The Cathedral Vai alla versione italiana Thursday 13 December 2018 14:20


Condividi Facebook Google+ Twitter LinkedIn

The Cathedral SS. Maria Assunta

The Cathedral SS. Maria Assunta The Cathedral was built between 455 and 534 probably on the destroyed temple of the goddess Trivia, and became Cathedral in 1058 when Trevico became Diocese. On that occasion, it was enlarged and the plant transformed from the Greek cross in a long central nave with chapels and altars to the right and left, and the presbytery at the bottom, while the entrance was formed in the body of the bell tower.
The Cathedral SS. Maria Assunta In the sixteenth century. was enlarged and partially restored while, after 1670, were executed various works to improve the poor conditions. On 8 September 1694, during the synod held by the Bishop Francesco Proto, there was a terrible earthquake that destroyed the bell tower and the sacristy which was repaired at best. In 1702, another earthquake caused extensive damage. In 1704 it was restored by the Bishop Viglini and, on October 2, 1729, by decree of Pope Benedict XIII, was consecrated by the Bishop Filomarino. In 1731 the Bishop Leonardis executed some works of improvement. Once again damaged by the earthquake of 29 November 1732 it was rearranged in 1735 and, in 1777, was restored and embellished by by Bishop Rogani.
The Cathedral SS. Maria Assunta In 1923, in preparation of the coronation of the Madonna of Libera, which took place on September 7, 1924, was renewed the floor with cement tiles in white and black colors, from the Company Romeo Valentini of Ascoli Piceno. The earthquake of 1980 severely damaged the Cathedral with the collapse of the wooden roof, already rebuilt in 1936 with two vaults in mains metal after the earthquake of 1930. After years of restoration and consolidation, which revealed also that the structure was groundless, the Cathedral was only reopened on August 8, 1998. Today is adorned with a niche of 1400 covered in marble with gilded, of St. Vincent; the silver urn containing the relics of St. Euplio, patron of the country; two Corinthian capitals.
The Cathedral SS. Maria Assunta The altars are seven, some of precious marble, as the major altar, others in colored stone and are dedicated, to left to: St. Anne, St. Anthony, Maria SS. of Libera; while on the right we find: the chapel of SS. Rosary with the Stone baptistery of 1618 bearing the bishop's coat of arms, supported by an elegant column and topped with a statue of St. John Baptist; the chapel of SS. Sacramento with marble banister and wrought-iron gate; and the altar of S. Euplio with the niche in which is kept the urn with the relics of the Saint.
The Cathedral SS. Maria Assunta In the presbytery is located the major altar, on which stands the picture of Maria SS. of Assumption, and wooden choir stalls century with 12 stalls for the canons and the bishop's throne, finely crafted. In 2008 they were donated, by Pasquale Scavina and wife, two Byzantine icons depicting St. Euplio and the Madonna of Libera, made by the Italian-Argentine Gustavo Costanzo. In addition to the relics of St. Euplio, the cathedral keeps from 1627 also those of Santa Rosalia, martyr of Palermo, remembered from an chalk image located on the door of the sacristy, and of S. Felice Martire.
The Cathedral SS. Maria Assunta On the entrance door from the inside, was located a monumental organ of 1905, donated by the family Cuoco Michele. In 2004, after a long restoration performed in Monteverde, the organ was placed in the chapel of SS. Sacramento. is equipped with hand controls and pedal to simulate the sound of various instruments such as violin, viola, flute, clarinet, etc.. and, from 1932 to 1980 was played by Alfonso Picari.
For his artistic and architectural qualities, the Cathedral of Trevico was declared a National Monument.

The Cathedral SS. Maria Assunta

(N. 814) Decree granting the faculty to accept from the chapel of SS. Sacramento of Trevico in the Principalito Ulteriore the donation willing by D. Orsola Paglia with public testament of February 25, 1845 via the notary in Vallata Stanislao Leone, having to observe the terms and conditions implicated therein, of which will be taken note with your donation in word in thethe corresponding audience, except the straight of third. (Naples, December 23, 1853) *

(N. 815) Decree containing the sovereign pleasure granted to the chapel of St. Philomena in Trevico in Principato Ulteriore willing to accept the donation in favor of D. Orsola Paglia with public testament of February 25, 1845 by the notary in Vallata Stanislao Leone, which must be observed well understood the terms and conditions expressed therein, and take note of the above donation and obligations annexes in the corresponding audience, except for the straight third parties. (Naples, December 23, 1853) *

* Collezione delle leggi e de' decreti reali del Regno delle Due Sicilie. Anno 1826, 1853.

Copyright 2001-2015 Trevico.net - All rights reserved
Credits | Contact | Copyright | Privacy Policy



Latest updates
News 30/10/2018
Event 20/10/2018
Demografic statistics 27/03/2018
Guestbook 25/03/2018


Valid HTML 4.01 Strict
CSS Valido!